Federal government teams assess that the Maceio mine collapse does not increase the risk


An assessment by technical teams from the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME), the Brazilian Geological Survey (SGB) and the National Mining Agency (ANM) indicates that the mine 18 collapse under Mundau Lagoon in Maceio, Alabama was a localized incident with no serious consequences.

Specialists associated with the federal government evaluated the data provided by Maceio Civil Defense and indicated that there was no apparent serious damage or risk to life. The incident occurred in the area of ​​Mutange district, one of the five depopulated in the municipality due to the risk of drowning due to a landslide caused by rock salt mining in the region.

Subscribe to O POVO+

Get access to all exclusive content, reviewers, unlimited access and discounts at stores, pharmacies and more.

Sign it

According to the agency’s note, the collapse occurred “after an increase in the rate of subsidence over the past 48 hours.”

There were also two low-magnitude earthquakes (earthquakes) in the region in the hours before the collapse itself, according to the Seismological Network operated by the SGB.

The Ministry of Mines and Energy concludes that it will continue to monitor the situation with Maceio authorities, focusing on the consequences for the public.

Is Maceio drowning?

The crisis in the mining region of the mining company Braskem in Maceio was caused in 2018. At that time, a series of earthquakes were recorded and thousands of people were evacuated from three districts (Mutange, Pineira and Bebedura) due to the risk of mine collapse. ) .

In connection with monitoring, it was necessary to evacuate part of two other districts (Farol and Bom-Parta), a total of 55,000 people were evacuated, and 14,000 buildings were empty.

Since last week, the Maceio Civil Defense has been waiting for the collapse of mine 18, excavated under Lagoa do Mundau. According to Hugo Carvalho, coordinator of the Integrated Center for Monitoring and Alerting of the Maceio Civil Protection (Cimadec), the subsidence of the observed region varied from millimeters per year to centimeters per hour.

On November 29, a warning was issued about the imminent collapse of mine No. 18.

Partial mine collapse

The Braskema rock salt mine in Maceio, which is at risk of imminent collapse, suffered a partial rupture this Sunday the 10th, although the affected area has already been evacuated, authorities said.

“Today at 1:15 p.m. mine 18 suffered a rupture in part of the lagoon, near Mutange (district), Mayor Joao Enrique Caldas (PL) said on Platform X (formerly Twitter).

“Civil defense of Maceio emphasizes that the mine and its surroundings are not occupied and there is no danger for people. New information on this matter is received and will be transmitted as soon as possible,” he added.

Videos broadcast by local media showed large brown bubbles forming on the surface of the water when the mine, which is mostly under the Mundau Lagoon, burst open.

Braskem said in a statement that “unusual movement” had been detected at the mine and that the company “continues to cooperate” with authorities.

Rock salt is a raw material for the production of PVC pipes and caustic soda. Braskem, which operates 35 mines in Maceio, is owned by Novonor, formerly Odebrecht. (AFP)




Questions, criticisms and suggestions? Talk to us


Check Also

VICTORY! The government demands an INCREASE in the average salary in all national companies

Last Monday (11) Minister of Labor Luis Marinhoparticipated in the launch of National pact on …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *